Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Greetings from the UP of Michigan on a -18 degree day!

                The Bistro on Sixth is not an address as it is a state of mind. It is in reality a combination my kitchen, dining room, and a town in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 
                After a life changing relocation, I set up house in the lower level of a rented home, much smaller than the one I left behind. Pouring my energies into my return to college, cycling and cooking became my pastimes in this town.  The Bistro was born; a name given by my 2 children to describe their mother’s kitchen. Meals are a daily adventure for them, wondering what they might be served next.   Influenced by my Polish, Hungarian, and Bulgarian families and a collection of cookbooks, I set out to flex my creativity and culinary tastes.  My love of history prods me to work with historic recipes too.


                Because I no longer have a garden, my goals included utilizing the great area farmers markets and anything I could grow in containers.  I often change my family heirloom recipes into more healthy versions.  I shop between a natural food store 30 miles west and a local grocery store that carries some organic items.


                Except for Italian, it is often impossible to find ethic ingredients in this area. One of my other goals is to utilize what is available at our local grocery stores, proving you can eat healthy and really great food made from scratch.  I have always held that, “if you can read, you can cook!” Of course that depends a lot on good comprehension skills. 



So get inspired and cook on!!
Here is a very, very simple recipe that we make almost weekly. It is the first recipe I taught both children.  Yes, even my son, now 18 will get up early to make Scones for us.  We make them in the Dutch oven when we go camping or participate in Historical interpretation events.


Basic Scones
2 cups flour (preferably organic) you can use white, whole wheat)
1 T. Baking powder
¼ teas. Sea Salt
½ cup butter (1 stk.)
2 Tbs.  Sugar (honey, brown, maple syrup etc…)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk (more if dough is too dry)

Preheat oven to 425° Work butter into flour, baking powder and salt with a pastry blender until it appears as small crumbs, like cornmeal. Add sugar, beaten egg and milk. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Dough might be a bit sticky.  Flour hands and knead in the bowl a few times.  Pat into a disk shape about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces, separate them slightly.  Bake for 12 to 14 min.

Recipe is easily embellished with added raisins, cinnamon, nuts, chocolate chips, you name it!  Add a glaze or cinnamon sugar too.   It’s one of those recipes that are easily memorized. 





1 comment:

  1. Seriously authentic and extremely excellent food that comes out of this kitchen, and the talent runs in the family :-)! Nice blog dear sister!

    ReplyDelete