Saturday, June 21, 2014

Wild Delights


It is a habit of mine to wake with the birds and the rising sun. I have never been much of  a late sleeper. The morning is the best part of the day by far, especially for writing (or reading). So today I set my pen to paper, sitting on the deck with a good cup of coffee and the birds singing.
     Initially, I wanted to do a post on maple syrup, but time got away on me. Then our unusually late spring finally 'sprung' and I have been spending all my free time outdoors hiking and cycling. Yesterday was spent readying my large containers for tomato, pepper and herb plants. The property I rent is owned by non-gardeners, so I have never been at liberty to dig in a garden or convert the useless lawn to an edible landscape.
     the front yard faces west and is hot and dry, shaded from by a very large maple whose canopy shelters us from the blazing hot summer sun. This is the only area that has a planting space, unfortunately nothing likes to grow there. That is why  I garden heavily in containers. I use two flat, one foot deep containers for my greens (mesclun mixes, kale and Swiss chard).
 I picked these up from Menard's several years ago. I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage and use good quality organic potting mix.  The other very large decorative container will hold my heirloom tomatoes, peppers and herbs.
  This time of year I also delight in  foraging for some of my favorites. Spring brings with it Ramps (wild leeks), Morel mushrooms, fiddle heads and asparagus.
***DISCLAIMER: My blog does not serve as a field guide, merely suggestions on how I use wild foods. Always consult one or more field guides and/or go with an experienced forager. Mushrooms can be fatal and there are many plants that look similar. Take this advice seriously.
     The ramps seemed extra vigorous and the season for harvesting lasts awhile, until the flower heads form and the leaves die back.  I always take only one or two bulb from a clump and move on. Never over harvest an area, be ethical.  Both the bulb and the tender leaves are edible and can be used in everything from salads to cooking. You can also briefly blanch and freeze them.
     Morels have been late this year. I am certain it was the long cold spring.  However the ones we found were clean and vigorous. Morels seem to be nearly everyone's favorite wild mushroom and folks like to keep their favorite picking spots secretive.
Stumbling upon a group of morels in an unexpected place, such as one of the city parks is half the fun. Or having an epic crash on your mountain bike and finding some! Makes the scrapes and bruises so worth it (extra bragging rights).
     Stinging Nettles are at tender-prime right now. You must harvest them with gloves.I use the tender shoots and you can  harvest them all summer by taking the tender tips and leaves. They must be cooked thoroughly but not mushy. Excellent in soups, stews and sautes, they serve as a summer-long useful and nutritious green.
  I am one of the few loonies who will unclip from my bicycle and run for asparagus growing in ditches and fence lines. Then the problem of transporting it home comes into play. Snapping them off where they get tough makes them 'almost' small enough for my bike bag but then they get tossed with some pretty yucky bike tools and melted snacks.
Because not all my favorite are in season, I have only included the ones I am currently cooking with. Here is the recipe run-down:

  • Morels in Alfredo Sauce over angel hair pasta
  • Wild Leek Kimchi
  • German potato salad with Ramps
***DISCLAIMER: My blog does not serve as a field guide, merely suggestions on how I use wild foods. Always consult one or more field guides and/or go with an experienced forager. Mushrooms can be fatal and there are many plants that look similar. Take this advice seriously.



Morels in Alfredo Sauce over angel hair pasta
This is a great way to stretch your morels if you don't have many of them. The flavor is soft and subtle in the rich sauce.
5 or more morel mushrooms, cleaned, washed and coarsely chopped
3 Tbs butter

For Sauce:
4 Tbs. Olive oil
2 Tbs. Butter
6 Tbs. minced wild leek bulbs (I like to add 2 cloves of garlic too)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Saute the chopped morels in butter in a large skillet over medium heat until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove mushrooms to a dish and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining butter and olive oil in the skillet over moderate heat. Add the leeks (and garlic if using), cook until soft.
3. Add the cream and cook over low heat 3-5 mins.incorporate the cream by whisking.
4. Add the Parmesan cheese, remove from heat and whisk until smooth.  Stir in the sauteed morels.

Toss this sauce with cooked fettuccine and a mesclun salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Garnish with chive blossoms if in the mood.

What to do with the Wild Leek greens?

Ramp (leek) Greens Kimchi
1 lb. (more or less) Leek greens, stems removed and slice into 1 inch peices
1 Tbs. sea salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs.. aleppo pepper (or Korean chile or a mix of 1/2 cayenne and 1/2 sweet paprika)
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp olive oil

1. In a large bowl mix chopped leek greens with salt, sugar, chili pepper and garlic.
2. Stir the oil and soy sauce together and add to the leek mixture.
3. Put into a large jar or 2 quart jars and allow to sit overnight at room temperature.
4. The next day place in the fridge, and stir everyday or so, making sure to get the top greens down to the bottom of the jar.
5. This Kimchi will be ready in about 5 days, it will smell heavenly!
This ramp kimchi will last for months in the fridge.




German Potato Salad with Wild Leeks 
(and/or Purslane in season)
This simple recipe can be doubled and tripled easily. I like the lemony crisp texture of Purslane (yes the weed) in potato salads during the summer months too. I use homemade Kumbucha sometimes instead of vinegar for a bit of sweetness. This is one of those simple recipes to memorize and experiment with different additions such as hard boiled egg slices, a bit of Dijon mustard, a bit of honey, and chives.

6 thick slices of bacon cubed
10 or more cleaned Wild Leek bulbs, tough stems removed and chopped
6 Tbs White or Cider vinegar (or nice sour kumbucha)
2 teas. mustard seeds
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Salt
Fresh ground black pepper

6 to 8 large red potatoes, washed cubed and cooked till just tender (not mushy 8-9 mins)

1. Drain cooked potatoes
2. Cook bacon pieces until crispy and brown turn heat off.
3  Carefully stir vinegar into bacon and bacon grease in the same pan. Season with salt.
4.  Put potatoes in a large bowl and toss with chopped wild leeks, mustard seeds and parsley.
5. Pour dressing over potatoes and toss well. Add a few grinds of pepper and adjust seasoning.
6. Potatoes will absorb dressing so don't worry if it looks like too much.  Plus you can add more if it seems dry.
Although I do not own a food processor (and do not want one), I do like to use this little chopper thing by NORPRO. It works really slick for garlic, onions and wild leek bulbs.


***DISCLAIMER: My blog does not serve as a field guide, merely suggestions on how I use wild foods. Always consult one or more field guides and/or go with an experienced forager. Mushrooms can be fatal and there are many plants that look similar. Take this advice seriously.

I hope these ideas inspire you to use our wild foods. Get your self some good field guides, or go with someone who gathers.  As wild food come into season, I will try to add a few more recipes to my posts. 

Boldog evés !!

~Lynn

Inspiration:
*Abundantly Wild
* California Culinary Institute
*Fermentation






No comments:

Post a Comment